Friday, February 24, 2006

Friend of the Week Friday 2.24.06

Friend of the Week: Holly Farmer (soon-to-be-Crider!)

Holly is a very dear friend of mine. We met at WCU during Holly's freshman year (my sophomore year). She was interested in joining SAI (the music fraternity I was already a member of) and after meeting her at a couple of the rush activities, I knew we would be good friends. Holly has such a bright personality, and it overflows onto everyone she comes into contact with. During Holly's pledge period, I got to be her guardian angel, the one who showered her with encouragement and gifts during the semester-long ordeal. I soon found out that she was a Christian, and I was able to encourage her with SAI and in her spiritual life. After she became a sister, our friendship continued to grow. We spent many nights after our weekly meetings chatting in the hallway. She was one of those people who seemed to understand my frustrations and my joys. We helped to see each other through some crazy times at WCU with boys and sisters and all the madness that comes along with college life. I was so glad to have her encouragement through my last 3 years at WCU.

After college, we lost touch for a while, but we did pick back up right where we left of through random IM chats. It seemed that while we were in the same place together in life all those years ago in college, we were still in similar places in life these days. It's that "I'm out in the real world and all those people I just spent every waking moment with for 4 years of my life and said we would always be friends are now moving on with life and where does that leave me?" stage. It's that time when we have to find ourselves. Find out who we really are-with or without them. And I am glad our friendship has grown during this "finding ourselves" process.

Holly is marrying the man of her dreams on June 17th of this year, and I couldn't be happier for her. There is nothing like finding and marrying the man you are called to be with for the rest of your life. I am so honored that she asked me to stand with her on her wedding day. I am blessed to be a part of the most amazing day of her life.

So, Holly, thanks for your constant encouragement, your kindness, for being you(and being ok with it even when everyone else doesn't agree), and for being my friend. I thank God for you and I love you, girl!

No comments: