Thursday, June 14, 2007

Jury Duty

It has to be the most dreaded piece of mail that one can receive...a summons for jury duty. I received my first summons about 2 years ago...addressed to my maiden name asking me to report to serve in a county in which I no longer lived. And thanks to my marriage and a move to 3 counties away, I got out of it. Lucky me!

But my luck ran out last week. I received my "official" document in the mail and well, let's just say it wasn't the best day of my life. If I am chosen to serve on this particual jury, I'll be visiting the courthouse for my "service" the first week of July...the last week before our summer camps begin...the week when all the last minute details have to be worked out...the only week in July that I have more than 2.5 seconds to breathe. However, I can go to the courthouse tomorrow to try and be excused...and you better believe, that I'll be there at 9:15 am on the dot tomorrow morning. And I'll plead my case and ask to be excused and tell the nice courthouse people about all of my life's plans that would be rudely interrupted should I be "forced" to serve on said jury...funny, I didn't know I was the one on trial. And if I'm not excused, I HAVE to go...or I can be arrested and put in jail. Great.

UPDATE: After talking with the nice judge, I was excused for July. While I'm not totally off the hook, mr. nice judge did let me pick when I wanted to be assigned to another jury....and I chose September. Apparently, 2010 wasn't on his list.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did they allow you to be excused?