Thursday, June 7, 2007

Family Ties

I'm aware that I've only posted once in the past 6 months...and I say it's time to hop back on the blogging train.

You mightremember, from late last summer, when I posted about my family. At the time, my dad and my step-mom had split up and, needless to say, I was devestated. I didn't want to be forced into the pain of divorce again and I certainly didn't want to have to say good bye to "family" members I had grown to love while my dad and step-mom were married.

Well, here we are a year later. The divorce was final on Tuesday. My step-mom is getting married on Saturday. My dad is getting married July 14th. And sometimes I just don't understand it. As a person who in her first and last marriage, maybe I'm not supposed to. I can't grasp how in 365 days, a person can move on completely to the point of committing to another person in marriage. I don't know how that happens...especially when, as the child (and not the person who is getting ready to make a covenant with another human being), I'm often not sure that I'm ready for another "mom", "sister" and "brother" so soon. Oh, I'll accept them with open arms and treat them with the respect that they deserve. But it won't mean that there's little to no work involved in forming relationships with these people. And I guess those are family ties that I'm just going to have to get used to.

No comments: