Friday, November 23, 2007

Finally OK

In an effort to stay caught up with friends that I don't see nearly often enough, I say "the the blogging recommence!"

I would just like to say that I'm more content with my life right now than I have been in a long time. I am currently taking in a gorgeous Gulf Coast sunset from Perdido Key, FL. I've slept more in the last week than I have in the last month. Thanksgiving was yesterday. The to-do list waiting for me at home is very easily conquerable. I feel refreshed, relaxed, rejunvenated.

About 3 weeks ago, I realized that it was November and that meant Thanksgiving was just around the corner. Marty's parents planned a week long vacation on FL's gulf coast for Thanksgiving. While we were most certainly thrilled to have a week on the beach with a beautiful view and some much needed time with the Gilberts, we also knew that there was MUCH to be done before we could thoroughly enjoy our time away. I am of the mentality, in my psychosis, that I can't enjoy a vacation knowing that I will come home to a dirty house or a million and two things to do. SO, I decided that it would be much wiser to kill myself for 2 weeks prior to our trip. Without boring you to pieces, here's a glimpse of what had to happen, in addition to the craziness that already existed in my life, before I could thoroughly enjoy some time away:

*Decorate the church for Christmas (complete with 3 large trees, many small trees, manger scene, lots of beautifully wrapped empty boxes and many wintry scapes)

*Make scarves for the Choir's Christmas Program

*Pack for a week in FL...and deal with all the airline restrictions for the flight down

*Christmas shopping in Pigeon Forge with my mom, aunts and cousins (yes, there was an element of fun there, but also a lot of stress involved in list making and traveling and unpacking purchases at the end of the weekend)

*Driving to Sylva for a wedding

*Driving to Sylva to the funeral home for my great aunt's visitation

*Driving to Sylva for Thanksgiving with my mom's family

*Preparing food for Thanksgiving with my mom's family

And seriously, that's only the icing on the cake. There were many days when I was up before 8 and didn't stop until I was in the bed at midnight. At times, I felt as though I was on the verge of a mental breakdown, but I kept trucking. I knew the end was in sight. I knew the vacation was coming. I knew I would get to sleep soon. And now, the vacation is over and normal life will resume again. And that's ok...

...Because my Christmas trees are waiting at home to be decorated. My snowmen are ready for their winter wonderland to take shape. My lights are practically twinkling already. This elf is ready to roll. :)

No comments: