Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Tuesday's Tip

Many of you have suggested that I start a weekly post about doing things on a budget or organizing tips or the things I do to make life simpler...so here ya go!! It'll be something different every week, so be sure to check back often!!

Inexpensive Decorating Tip

A couple of weeks ago, we painted and did sort of a "redecorating" project in our kitchen. In that, I created one of my most favorite projects EVER!! I got the idea from Ballard Designs (see it here). Unless those prints actually come off the wall and clean my kitchen for me, there was NO WAY I was spending $700 to get the exact look from the catalog. So, I planned and came up with a SUPER easy and CHEAP solution to get the look I wanted without breaking the bank! Here's the end result (ignore the light fixture being reflected in the mirror!)...




And here's how to do it...

You'll need:
**4-6 frames in a color of your choice (I got those from Wal-Mart for $3 each.)
**A mirror-optional (I chose a mirror that was the same color as the frames for continuities sake. Another Wal-Mart purchase...only $14!)
**Small samples of fabric, scrapbook paper, tissue paper, wrapping paper-the possibilities are endless (I gathered mine from different stores here and there. You can find pretty fabrics for good prices, and since you only need a little, you'd probably spend less than $1 on each one! And of course, scrapbook papers can be purchases on sale for pennies!)
**A print off of your monogram (Just pick a pretty font, type your letter, size it up, print it out and there ya go! You could also do a quote or favorite saying.)

Arrange your items in a large flat area (like the floor or table) to figure out the best layout. Then, start hanging on the wall, starting in the middle and work your way out.

It really is that easy! I spent about $32 on my project which saved me about $670!!!

One thing I love about this project, too, is that not only will it make a great impact on a wall in your own home, but you can also create something like this to give as a gift for Christmas or a birthday. Just customize it to their taste and in just a few minutes, they have handmade custom wall art!

I'd love to hear what you think about it or if you have any other suggestions for making this project even better!!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

k.mart said...

What a great idea... can't wait to see what I learn from Auntie Sazie! :) Actually, you know I already stole the monogram thing for my thrifted frame that NEEDED some inspiration. Leave it to you to provide it! Love the samples in the frames... talk about creative... so are you!!! Love you!