Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Tuesday's Tip

As I have just finished this week's laundry, I'm reminded of a tip I learned a long time ago that has helped tremendously in our house. It's helped keep things, our closets especially, neat and tidy. I'm aware that we don't have children and little ones running around could cause some interruptions, making this tip unusable. However, it's one that I've lived by for as long as I can remember, and I hope I'm able to continue it, as much as possible, when we have little ones running around!

Never take an item of clothing from the dryer without hanging it up or folding it.

It's a simple as that, folks! Since we don't have an actual laundry room (just a closet in our hallway that holds our washer and dryer) this little tip has kept me from going crazy over piles and mounds and messes of clothes in a very busy walkway of our house. I hear so many people who complain of the mounds of laundry, clean and dirty alike, that seem to come from nowhere. I've even heard stories of people spending up to FOUR hours of doing nothing but folding, hanging and putting away loads and loads and loads of laundry that have piled up over the course of a week. That, my friends, is a good time I'd like to avoid. We have a high efficiency washer and dryer, so we do big ol' loads of laundry. And it only takes about 3 minutes to fold, stack and hang one load of laundry. If I do 4 loads of clothes a week, that's 12 minutes. 12 minutes vs. 4 hours.

So, even if it sits in a neatly folded pile for a week or hangs in your laundry room until it needs to be worn again, at least its not in a crumpled mess on a dirty floor somewhere, or getting so dirty from being trampled on that it has to be washed AGAIN before it can be worn.

Got any other good laundry tips? Let me know!

No comments: