Thursday, March 12, 2009

Things I Love Thursday 3.12.09

I've watched American Idol since the second season (it's in the 8th season now), but this season might be among the best ever! I'm not gonna lie, I get annoyed, just like the rest of America when Ryan Seacrest drags on and on and on and on and reveals the results..."after the break" or when an INCREDIBLE singer is sent home as someone ridiculous gets to stay for another week or when Paula rambles on and on for what seems like forever only to make a comment on how someone looks in the outfit they're wearing. Is it the most riveting show on television? No. Is it entertaining and sometimes exciting? Yes!

Let's start with the biggest change this season...a new host. Kara Dioguardi joined Randy, Paula and Simon (who I agree with about 98% of the time). I wasn't really all that keen on there being 4 judges, but Kara actually says things that make sense and are constructive in nature. Besides, Kara's a Duke graduate, so I gotta love the girl! She can stay, Paula can go.

Another big change this year was that instead of a Top 12, the judges decided on 13 finalists. I certainly have my favorites and opinions and, because I know you're all dying to hear what I think, here you go...

Danny Gokey, Adam Lambert and Allison Iraheta are my picks for the final 3. Danny's my favorite, with his gruff sound..I'd buy his album tomorrow if I could! Adam's range is RIDICULOUS and while I don't think he'll win, but he's gonna be around for a while. Allison's a rocker and even at 16 years old, she's a great performer...not an amazing personality, but a great singer regardless.

Some other favorites are Anoop Desai (a NC resident), Lil Rounds, Matt Giraud and Kris Allen. These people are definitely talented, and I enjoy hearing them every week, but I don't think any of them will win it all.

And, as always, there are some that make me say "eh" (in other words, I don't love them as singers and my feelings aren't going to be hurt when they leave). This season, Scott MacIntyre, Michael Sarver and Alexis Grace fall into that category.

"Are you kidding me?" That's what I say about these people: Jasmine Murray (eliminated last night), Jorge Nunez (eliminated last night) and Meagan Joy Corkery (should have been eliminated weeks ago). Jasmine was just kinda ok as a singer. Jorge sounded like he was straight out of the early '80s. Meagan's weirdo dance moves are so ridiculous it's not even funny and they totally take away from her ok voice...and really, anyone who chooses "Rockin' Robin" on a show where you're judged by what you sing should be sent home immediately.

So, there ya have it. It's sure to be an interesting season...I'd love to hear about your favorites!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't get past Adam's "black nails" to think he would be a good "American Idol." And, "tatoo girl" needs to get on the next bus back home. Sometimes I have to ask myself, "Why do I watch this show?" Well, when you're as bored as I am, almost anything can be entertaining! Love,
Mom