Friday, March 17, 2006

Friend of the Week 3.17.06

Friend of the Week: Lilly

Lilly is a 4 year old who was adopted by our good friend Diana. Lilly came to Diana from Kazakhstan whenshe was 13 months old. Since then, we have watched her grow and learn and with Diana marrying one of Marty's best friends, Andrew last June, our "family" continues to grow and grow. Lilly is far beyond her years, especially for a child who spent the first 13 months of her life in a crib in the other side of the world. After she began to warm up to us Americans, she immediately acted as though she had known us for years. She is always having conversations with us, like grown ups would. She is so good at copying EXACTLY what she hears adults say, which can be funny at times, and not so fun at other times! For example, her aunts recently took her to the Cabbage Patch Home in GA and let Lilly adopt her very own Cabbage Patch. Well, there are a few things you should know about him: he's probably the whitest (not human) baby I have ever seen and his name is Trevon Juan (pronounced Trey-vaughn, Juan...not imagine that being said by a 4 year old with a southern accent!). While we all think this is really funny, Lilly doesn't get it. Trevon Juan is her baby so much so that she "disciplines" him just like her mommy and daddy discipline her. At Christmas I heard her say in a whisper to Trevon Juan "What did mommy tell you? Do I need to put you in time out? You need to stay right here and think about what you've done until I am ready to play with you again." I thought I was going to die trying to hold in my laughter so she wouldn't see me crackin' up over what I had just heard!! It really was too funny. A couple of weeks ago I was in Murphy, NC organizing my friend's classroom. I met her at her church (where Lilly and her parents attend) that afternoon. I was standing around talking with some friends waiting for Breeze and I to get to work, and all of a sudden I hear from across the room a little voice say "SARAI!" I looked up to see Lilly running toward me, taggie blanket in hand. I was thinking that I hadn't see her since Christmas and her hair was getting so long. She ran right up to me, threw her arms around my neck and said "I haven't seen you in so long! Do you see my longs hair? My mom curled it for me this morning." It was adorable. She is quite the little girlie-girl. I certainly don't know any other kids who have been picking out their shoes & hairbows since they were 2 (and they always match!).
I love that Lilly, and I am so glad that God saw fit for her to bless our lives. Posted by Picasa

No comments: